Well, hello friends! Happy summer! I know the last thing we want to think about when it’s hot outside is turning our oven on, but trust me… these cookie bars are WORTH. IT.
My husband hosts a monthly game night at our house for he and his friends to enjoy some RPG awesomeness, which always provides me with an enthusiastic audience for a new baked goods recipe — these were a big hit and they’re so simple to make.
And, I have to admit, these were inspired by some 4H baked goods I judged/tasted/completely enjoyed last month. My husband and I both have personal and professional baking experience, and have had the opportunity this year and last year to do some baked goods judging for 4H. We’re doing another judging this week and I’ll be sure to write more about that in the future because it provides so much tasty baking inspiration!
Anyway. On to the recipe! This makes a pretty big batch — perfect for sharing!
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chip Cookie Bars
Recipe adapted via Nestle Toll House
- 2 ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- ¾ c. light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk chocolate chips
- 1 c. peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a 9″x13″ baking pan with aluminum foil and grease with unsalted butter.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer or a paddle attachment on a stand mixer — beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Add vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each egg.
- With hand mixer/stand mixer on low speed, slowly add in sifted flour, baking soda, and salt until just mixed. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, scrape bottom of the large mixing bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated. Add in ¾ c. of the milk chocolate chips and ¾ c. of the peanut butter chips, reserving ¼ c. of each. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread mixture evenly into lined baking pan. Top with remaining milk chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, rotating baking pan 180° halfway through baking time.
- Let cool. Slice into bars. Enjoy!
Makes 12 large cookie bars. Once completely cooled, store any leftover bars in an airtight container.