I came across this chocolate cake recipe about two years ago. There wasn’t really any special occasion for making it other than I was trying to woo a boy (in which case, this cake was a success). The relationship fizzled, but the awesomeness of this cake certainly did not.
This is my all-time favorite, tried and true chocolate cake recipe. For real, friend. It causes serious euphoria. People will declare their love for you shortly after sinking their teeth into this cake, which can be topped with any frosting your little heart desires. I’m partial to some simple whipped cream, but pudding frosting or a classic buttercream are also completely wonderful choices.
If anyone you love has requested a chocolate cake for an occasion, give this one a go and marvel at the result. It is super moist, perfectly chocolaty, and wears any topping beautifully. I’ll post a recipe for a classic buttercream, but like I said — it pairs well with just about anything that suits your fancy.
It makes 24 cupcakes or two 9″ round cakes.
Also, does chocolate cake make you think of this Bill Cosby bit? Me too.
Your New Favorite Chocolate Cake
Recipe via Hersheys
You will need:
2 c. sugar
1 and 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 c. milk
2 t. vanilla
3/4 c. cocoa powder
1 and 1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 c. oil
1 c. boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or fill 24 count cupcake pan with liners.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
3. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Gently stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans or cupcake cups.
4. For cupcakes: fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. For two 9″ cake pans: Divide batter evenly among two pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
Classic Buttercream Frosting
Recipe adapted from FoodNetwork.com
You will need:
3 c. powdered sugar
1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 t. vanilla extract
1 to 2 T. whipping cream
1. In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
2. Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
Fantastic post. Very helpful. Thanks for the info.
[…] haven’t really ventured too far from my favorite chocolate cake recipe in the past couple of years since it’s so tried and true — however, this was the […]
[…] made it with my Your New Favorite Chocolate Cake recipe, and the pudding topping was so easy and delicious! It was enjoyed by all. That cake […]
[…] used the recipes for My Favorite Chocolate Cake and Milk Chocolate Buttercream for the cake and frosting — then just went wild with the […]